Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Parent's Aspirations

This week was really great. So many reasons to realize I still have not hit my prime. 
1. Work is more fun than for a long time, in spite of more challenges than ever
2. Wonderful evidences of God's love coming from my calling
3. Amazing instruction and learning from visiting general auxiliary presidencies from SLC
4. Insight into my aspirations for my children as a result of comments from Sis. Stevens from the RS general presidency. 

First, work is getting more fun. I am spending more time working issues at an organizational level and less as the "grind out the details" level.  It is fun to see the impact and progress that can be had, and to work with, coach, and help others rise to new levels they had not seen in themselves before. Additionally we have more problems than ever, with some very serious, but it is fun to take those on, and to be a spot of positive light amidst the gloomy outlook of so many. It actually becomes fun to try and see what we can solve and work to ensure a strong foundation for the next generation of leaders. 
Next, I have had a wonderful few weeks where evidence of the atonement is clearly working in the lives of others. They have deep and sincere desires to become what He wants them to be. And they are succeeding. There are challenges and setbacks, but overall there is wonderful progress and I work hard to help them see that when they don't always see it in themselves. When we focus on Christ all other things can settle down and get put into their right place. Not be made into an overwhelming problem but to be made to be a challenge we can win. 
Third, we had Sis. Cordon, Sis. Oscarson, and Sis. Stevens from the primary, YW, and RS visit our area Friday. Great leadership training and then a wonderful general women's session. It was a great treat to attend with mom and to spend so much time with her. It is at times like this that I more fully realize the "pleasing word of god" and it's Lon term affect on me and what I truly desire. 
Last, Sis. Stevens talked to us about what our aspirations were for the sisters of RS. As I pondered this it made me go into a revelatory mode that helped me begin a list of what aspirations I have for my children. I have created for myself a vision of values and learnings that have and will guide my life. But this caused me to think about what I want most for my children. So....please think about these and consider how they are in your life. And work to bring further "joy" to your fuddy duddy dad. 
Here they are, my aspirations for my children:

1. Have a bedrock understanding of the doctrine of Christ

2. Know how to qualify for, receive, and act upon personal revelation.

3. Not only be saved by grace, but be changed by grace. 

I am sure that this list will grow over time, and there are others to add, but it is a remarkable start. If you really want to please your dad you will send me a note with your thoughts, personal evaluation, and honest intentions of where you are/will work to be better in these and where you are not currently planning on changing. 
I love you all forever,
Dad
3 John 1:4

No comments:

Post a Comment