Sunday, September 25, 2016

Crossing the threshold

I had a great week but the end of the week was even better. I was gone all week for work, and I am so glad to be back home. I love it here. I really am a homebody. 
It was really nice last night to talk to Skjelse for so long. It was so nice to hear such a positive outlook regardless of the circumstances. Sometimes we just have to be grateful IN our circumstances. 
While I was away I was able to get a bunch of Belgian chocolate from the factory close by our work there. It's the factory blems that I get but they are delicious. We have to be careful to eat it slowly!
While headed out to a dinner we stopped at the American cemetery monument at Henri-Chappell. As we walked toward the burial grounds we went through a pillar and roof section and when we crossed the threshold the most remarkable spirit washed over me. It was so unexpected and so powerful. It was a sacred experience to reflect upon the nearly 8,000 dead buried there, and the additional nearly 5,000 that are missing in action that are engraved on the pillars. 

I even found one with the spelling like Skjelse for their last name. 

I didn't expect it to be much of a stop, but it had a very sacred feel and the way they kept the grounds was remarkable. What care they give it in respect for the fallen buried there. It was impeccable.  
We had a nice time doing a garage sale for Larry Scott. Not really a sale, it was a giveaway. So I spent my time trying to get people to take more stuff. It was funny. Tons of things from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Some seriously vintage stuff. We got people who wanted about 2/3 of it and then took the rest to goodwill. We also earmarked the value of it for the refugees in the area.  
I got to have a home cooked Italian meal when I was over in Europe. I work with Enrico Fracarri and he invited me over. I had asked him in the past what they really eat on a normal day. So we made the meal for me. It was wonderful. He, his wife and Matteo their baby. We had pasta with a tomato sauce with bacon and onion that tasted very different but really good. Then this dish (with picture) which I forgot the name but was really good. Thin cut veal topped with prosciutto and basil. The they fry it from one side, then just enough on the other to crispy it up good. It was wonderful.

 I learned in Italy they always have the correct order of dishes, and they do one dish at a time. Not all on the plate like we do. But do the pasta first, then meat, then salad, then sweet. Not necessarily all required, but in that order. It was very nice. 
I had a wonderful Sunday with great councils to help with direction and decisions. Bishopric, Ward council, and bishops youth council. All were really good today with open discussion and lots of input. I really like it when many will share their insight and viewpoints before we make decisions. We also had the primary program today. It's always a pleasure and fun to witness. I had to give closing remarks which I expected to be super short because I thought they would be way over. But they ended 15 minutes early. Scramble!!!  I took up about 5 or so on the spot but then just let us end early. But a really nice day. 
Love you forever,
Dad
3 John 1:4 (I got to use that in an interview today:))

No comments:

Post a Comment